If we’re being honest, our friend pool has gotten smaller in the last few years. In this conversation with Hope, a New York-based therapist with extensive training in relational therapy, and I look at why we’re not making friends and how we can change that.
DISCLAIMER: There are a few audio dips due to some issues during conversion, hence the quality of the audio is not the best in the first few minutes of the interview.
We spoke about:
- The similarities between making friends and dating
- The science behind friendships
- How friends can literally be saving our lives
- What family relationships say about our friendships
- Instagram friends vs Friends in real life, and the role social media plays in friendships
- Mindfulness in relationships
We both shared personal stories of our own experiences with making…and keeping friends and spoke about how a mindset shift can also affect relationships.
- 35:00 – How to Make Friends
- 37:00 – A challenge to Millennials
Working on our friendships, generally mean working on ourselves first and that’s what Hope emphasizes in her book: “Here to Make Friends: How to Make Friends as an Adult“
For context this was recorded during the Coronavirus pandemic of 2020.