This is the 80th episode! On one hand I can’t believe it, and on the other hand it feels like we’ve shared much more than 80 conversations on here. But here we are!
It’s only right that for this milestone episode we talk about dogs! I have always had a soft spot for dogs and in this episode I share just how many dogs I grew up with at one point. This chat with Kendra Clark, pet lover, business owner and author, highlights the benefits of having pets – especially dogs.
Studies have found that dog owners are generally healthier: “pet owners are less likely to suffer from depression than those without pets; people with pets have lower blood pressure in stressful situations than those without pets; playing with a dog, cat, or other pet can elevate levels of serotonin and dopamine, which calm and relax”. Other studies show that “76% of 26-28 year olds have a pet; and more than half of them reported that they have a dog”.
In this episode we also discuss the idea that Millennials are opting for pets rather than kids, and this study that says “82% of Millennial respondents said that pet ownership should come before parenthood because it better prepares them for the next step”. Kendra and I cover all the bases in this chat. Listen to this episode and share it with a friend (especially if they are considering getting a dog).
- 01:24 : The biggest benefit of having a dog (what people don’t talk about)
- 02:43 : “We had like 20 dogs…”
- 03:24 : How do I find the time to take care of a pet?
- 04:21 : Dogs vs kids?
- 05:29 : Which breed of dog is best for busy people? (the answer will shock you)
- 09:53 : Behind the scenes: those funny dog videos on Instagram
- 14:22 : Are Millennials choosing pets over kids?
- 16:10 : Pet owners are generally healthier, who knew?
- 19:49 : How time consuming is it to take care of a dog?
- 20:44 : How expensive is it to take care of dogs?
- 23:40 : Rescue or buy?