Rihanna was named a national hero in Barbados at 33 years old. It was an all-around historic day for Barbados, as they formally removed the Queen as head of state – thus becoming a Republic and naming their first President. At the time of this historic event, their Prime Minister is a women and their newly appointed president is a woman.
Quite a historic day, yet what seemed to have taken over discussions on social media is what Rihanna wore; her hairstyle, whether she deserved the national hero designation. In this podcast episode we discuss what folks had to say online and the lessons we can all learn from this very significant day, and very significant honour for singer, song writer, designer, businesswoman – Rihanna.
- 01:00 : The backlash
- 01:20 : The first reason we should care – redefining parameters
- 04:21 : The second reason we should care – what’s age got to do with it?
- 09:07 : The third reason we should care – the double standard and the political statement of Black hair
- 16:28 : The main takeaway
- 19:03 : Take this with you
- 25:23 : A word from Rihanna (via YouTube – millionairemoveclub)
- 25:57 : A question for you (answer in the comments)